Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old November 2, 2010   #1
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Default My first real garden

So next year will be my first real garden where I try to grow a good number of different veggies. This year I had just Tomatos, Peppers and lemongrass while I started my asparagus patch.

On 10' of 7' high trellis I'll try
peas -- Super Sugar Snap
beans -- Fortex
cucumber -- Diamant

In the main beds I'll add:
Swiss Chard -- Bright Lights
Carrots -- Sugarsnax 54 (F1)-
Tomatoes -- Lots of varieties grown from seed for the first time
Peppers -- I'll get a few plants from a garden center so I can stick to growing tomato transplants for this first year
Garlic -- Already in
Shallots -- Already in

In a small bed with room around it for vines I plan to pit these two against each other. If 3' square isn't enough room and I get less production then I'll have to live with that

Zucchini -- Plato (F1)-
Squash -- Yellow Crookneck (OG)-

Does that seem like a resonable start for a new gardener?
lowlylowlycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Lowly:

what about an eggplant-something like applegreen or camo?
Old November 3, 2010   #3
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Sounds good. What about lettuces and some herbs to complement your main crops, basil and cilantro?
Old November 3, 2010   #4
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
Sounds good. What about lettuces and some herbs to complement your main crops, basil and cilantro?
I might try some kind of lettuce. I was thinking of using some long, deep containers so I could move the lettuce into a shadier spot as the weather heats up. Maybe I can figure out that whole "wintersown" thing and try that.

I will be growing both Thai and Sweet Basil.

I probably won't try to grow cilantro since I've never had any luck with it.

I'll also have some herbs growing near by the kitchen. They don't exactly thrive there since the sunlight is limited but they survive well enough that I can use some when needed.

I plan to put in a third bed for the year after next. Then I'll have a bit more room for things like eggplants, I guess.
Old November 4, 2010   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlylowlycook View Post
I plan to put in a third bed for the year after next. Then I'll have a bit more room for things like eggplants, I guess.
Try eggplant (and peppers) in containers. In previous years, the flea beetles demolished the eggplant seedlings early in the season. So this year, I put the eggplants (small-fruited varieties) in 5-gal. containers, protected with bubble wrap to keep the heat in -- it was a cool summer -- and the flea beetles out. And i got eggplants! Some of my plants still have eggplants on them.

Lettuces don't need deep containers. You could also grow them in the shade of other plants. Or plant them near the kitchen. Many herbs are pretty enough to plant in the front yard, if you get more sun there (and if you don't use lawn chemicals).
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2010   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

llcook,

Your first garden looks very doable.

Do you know if your carrot seed will be naked, pelleted, or taped?

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2010   #7
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I had both the Bright Lights chard and the Super Sugar Snap this year - I think those are terrific choices. In fact, I STILL have the chard growing after several freezes.

I grow Neckargold pole beans - I find a mix of green and yellow beans very nice in dishes, and Neckargold is productive and tasty.

I find growing sweet peppers annoying - I think I'm about done. They take so long to mature - last year I was busy covering them up at the end of the season, just to get any. This year, I still didn't get many. However, you're south of me and may have better luck. I love the hot peppers though - serranos and jalapenos.

Also, I really enjoy the herb garden. In addition to the basil, I use rosemary quite a bit, and adore the tarragon. Parsley of course, and chives, and thyme. I also have Kentucky Colonel Spearmint - wonderful for mojitos and making mint jelly. When it freezes, I don't know if I miss the tomatoes or the herb garden the most.

Edit: Oh yes, and some onions for green onions around an edge.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2010   #8
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Hmmmm, I'm thinking about this Sultan (F1) seedless cucumber. Might that be better for salads?
Old November 7, 2010   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Diva is a great cuke also, as well as spacemaster. I like both of them, the boss (wife) likes spacemaster the best. Never grown sultan.
Old November 7, 2010   #10
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, Diva does sound good. I think I'll go with that.
Old November 7, 2010   #11
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Cant miss with Diva. I grow it every year. Sets real well.
Old November 11, 2010   #12
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

lowlylowly- sorry to divert for a bit

Tam re peppers- No kidding! we grew sweet bell peppers for a few years and just got green ones. hot peppers ripen just fine, and are more prolific. so- we are trying more small peppers- cherry bomb are OK for productivity, and we really like Aji Flor (orchid pepper) for a sweet (with a tiny touch of warmth in the membrane)

trying Hinklehatz and one other small pepper TBD next year- probably a small round/cheese type
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2010   #13
salix
Tomatovillian™

Re: the carrots - I did up some home made "seed sheets" (as opposed to seed tapes) last spring. Made a template with graph paper, made a big dot on 2 inch centres, resulting in 36 carrots per square foot. Slipped the template under sheets of white tissue paper and used a Q-tip to put on a tiny blob of a flour and water paste (was the only thing I could come up with that was organic, LOL). Then used tweezers to place a carrot seed on each paste dot and let dry overnight. Remember to label the sheets if you are doing several varieties. At time of planting, ensure the soil is well watered and has a fine tilth, rake level. Place the sheets over the prepared garden bed area and cover with a layer of fine soil - I just happened to have half a bag of very old germinating mix and it worked very well. Water (sprinkle) well and gently. Use proper labels before you forget what was written on the now-covered sheets. I don't think it would matter if the sheets were placed seeds up or seeds down, but I DO know it would be much easier on a non-windy day! Was very gratified to note that my home made paste held the seeds securely until planted even with the tissue flapping about madly in a brisk wind. Cover bed with Reemay to avoid carrot rust fly problems; up here we can remove it around the beginning of July.
Granted, it was a couple of hours work to make the sheets, but I think the time was more than made up by not having to thin, wasted seed and easier weeding. It is also a lot easier to work sitting at the kitchen table than bending over if you have a bad back/hips/knees etc. Did a 3' x 10' bed with four different varieties and that is a lot of carrots! Hope this helps...
salix is offline   Reply With Quote