Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 4, 2015   #1
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Default What is Your Preference regarding Fertilizers

Specifically I am asking what u like to use for tomatoes and peppers.

The last couple of years I used the miracle grow powder that I diluted. It seems ok
But I realize there are many more. I believe Craig mentioned osmocote (14-14-14) in epic tomatoes please correct if I a wrong. I was looking at different varieties at ace hardware. So I see Tomatoe tone and a few others have the low nitrogen which I understand is better so it doesn't promote a lot of green leaf growth less fruits.

So I would like to hear what u prefer. Btw tmiracle grow for tomatoes didn't have the low nitrogen. I also noticed the organic fertilizers have sulphur. Not sure why ph? I usually add lime to prevent blossom rot. I would like to know if u have tried different fertilizers and found one that u thought was the best.
Old February 4, 2015   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I used Schultz for Tomatoes 10-12-12 last year for some container tomatoes with very good results.

For plants in soil, I have followed a seed company recommendation of alternating 4-18-38 and Calcium Nitrate in the fertilizer injector, and I had great results.

I'm trying to go all organic this year. I am going to use a lot of tomatotone. I also like greensand. Kelp/seaweed is great, but it's expensive. I will also use blackstrap molasses. The fertilizer injector lets me try out expensive fertilizers on a tiny scale. I've looked at mushroom extracts, and also some amino acid products.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I like Tomato Tone. I have tried other fertilizers, but I always come back to Tomato Tone, and that's mostly for my peppers. In my experience, tomatoes are more tolerant of high nitrogen than peppers, but I grow a lot of peppers.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #4
joseph
Tomatovillian™

No fertilizers for me. I want to select for plants that grow great in my existing soil. I'm too poor to try to change the soil.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #5
zero244
Tomatovillian™

You might consider picking up a bag of Azomite powder. I used it last year and noticed some impressive improvements in plant growth. I bought a 40 pound bag and I should be able to get two years + use from one bag. I believe the bag states 66 minerals and it is a very fine powder so it breaks down easily.
zero244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Anything I can get my paws on.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Anything I can get my paws on.
Worth
Ask a question like "What is Your Preference regarding Fertilizers?" around here and you'll get a hundred answers. Worth, you covered them all in one sentence!
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #8
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

I sprinkle Triple 13 around everything when the plants start taking off then and generally once a week until harvest. I think its the perfect all around fertilizer.
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Tone and I use Age Old Bloom on alternate weeks as a supplement.
Old February 5, 2015   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Tomat Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomat Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomat Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomat Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomat Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomat Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomat Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone Tomato Tone
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2015   #11
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Ask a question like "What is Your Preference regarding Fertilizers?" around here and you'll get a hundred answers. Worth, you covered them all in one sentence!
That's a BIG 10-4 there Buddy.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Locally, the plant dealer says to use Pro-Mix to grow in containers. "Lol, plant dealer". I tease the couple who have a nice store locally because their sign just says, "Plants". It's an old tiny sign from owners past. If I were more healthy, I would offer to create a better sign.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Hummert has 20lb bags of Tomatotone for $18. I'm going to order five or six.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #14
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

I'm experimenting with fish water, Encap compost tea (1-0.5-0.5 and micros) Maxicrop w/ iron (0-0-1 and micros), Buffalo Loam (1-1-1 and micros) 1/4 strength Shultz (10-15-10) for seedlings in DE. If it goes well I will up-pot in DE and set up F&D trays for peppers and greens. Toms will go in the garden and same mix weekly or as needed.
Rairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #15
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Default Fertilizer Preference

The soil in my garden varies from red clay to a sand bed and all my vegetables do equally well. The only fertilizer I use is the grass and weeds growing in the garden which is the same grass and weeds in the pasture which surrounds the garden on all sides.

When it rains the runoff from the pastures is slowed by the grass in the middles of the rows, trapping the moisture and nutrients for the benefit of the garden.

Whether it's Summer Squash growing in clay, Pole Beans growing in a sandbed , or something in between, it works for me. Claud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gardens 6-10-2012 017.jpg (214.0 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 7-26-2013 023.jpg (267.0 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg Beans 002.jpg (263.7 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-7-2014 010.JPG (281.2 KB, 301 views)
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote