Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 5, 2015   #1
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Default What's the most inexpensive way to protect from a freeze

I am asking for a good 40-45 plants
Old March 5, 2015   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Floating row cover that is if they are in the ground. Water before you put the cover on as it helps to keep the roots warm. How cold are we talkin?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Floating row cover that is if they are in the ground. Water before you put the cover on as it helps to keep the roots warm. How cold are we talkin?
I checked the weather for Mobile and it is foretasted down to 29 tonight.

Cover them up and if you have a drop light or something like a heat light put it under the cover too.
I have piled hay on the plants with great success too.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; March 5, 2015 at 08:46 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #4
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Sorry I am asking future tense. There is a chance between now and the end of the month for a hard freeze. Hopefully I can plant them this weekend.

Last year we had a hard freeze in early April usually by the middle of March there is on average a 5-10% chance of a frost.

Would box's work?
Old March 5, 2015   #5
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

A bottle of bourbon, a lawn chair, and a camp fire. Well maybe not cheap but enjoyable.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #6
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
A bottle of bourbon, a lawn chair, and a camp fire. Well maybe not cheap but enjoyable.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Cover and dry leaves around the plants helps too. If it were just a few plants, I would suggest a large pot with a sheet over it and a large plastic tote/tub over that.

I've got to try that bottle of bourbon, lawn chair, and camp fire thing.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Boxes would be great.
Darn it I dont have any bourbon in the house.

Worth
Old March 5, 2015   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

get up real early, before the frost starts. Make several very smoky fires, maybe even some used motor oil. Or piles of wet leaves. If it's a frosty night, smoke will linger near the ground and prevent UV radiation from being radiated toward the sky.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
get up real early, before the frost starts. Make several very smoky fires, maybe even some used motor oil. Or piles of wet leaves. If it's a frosty night, smoke will linger near the ground and prevent UV radiation from being radiated toward the sky.
Not evironmentally sound, but that's what we did on the farm where I was raised. My father would have taken old tires and made piles of them when expecting a too early freeze, we got up at about 4 AM, went out and poured gasoline on them, and that heavy smoke was everywhere.

It's known that those smoke particles created what are called ice nuclei which raised the temp of the leaves.

Did it bother the neigbors? Probably, but originally there were no neighbors. My grandfather had bought 90 acres from the Shakers for 5K , sold half of that for 6K to someone else and paid off the mortgage, so we originally had 45 acres and my grandfather sold off building lots that created several roads. Many rich folks bought lots and one was purchased by Eleanor Roosevelt for her then bodyguard and she used to walk down to visit with my grandmother and gave some fuzzy toy animals to my brother and myself.

Ah, memories.

Carolyn, also remembering that our kitchen at the farm was originally a log cabin and the Shakers had built an addition to that and then built the main house in 1883 which we still called the new addition.
Old March 6, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Not evironmentally sound, but that's what we did on the farm where I was raised. My father would have taken old tires and made piles of them when expecting a too early freeze, we got up at about 4 AM, went out and poured gasoline on them, and that heavy smoke was everywhere.

It's known that those smoke particles created what are called ice nuclei which raised the temp of the leaves.

Did it bother the neigbors? Probably, but originally there were no neighbors. My grandfather had bought 90 acres from the Shakers for 5K , sold half of that for 6K to someone else and paid off the mortgage, so we originally had 45 acres and my grandfather sold off building lots that created several roads. Many rich folks bought lots and one was purchased by Eleanor Roosevelt for her then bodyguard and she used to walk down to visit with my grandmother and gave some fuzzy toy animals to my brother and myself.

Ah, memories.

Carolyn, also remembering that our kitchen at the farm was originally a log cabin and the Shakers had built an addition to that and then built the main house in 1883 which we still called the new addition.
I was going to bring up the tire fire thing but I thing they would put you in jail these days.

I was asked by a farmer to burn his huge brush pile one time.
I had no idea it had about 20 tires in it.
The black smoke must have went 10,000 feet in the air and covered half the county.

Worth
Old April 19, 2015   #12
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I was going to bring up the tire fire thing but I thing they would put you in jail these days.

I was asked by a farmer to burn his huge brush pile one time.
I had no idea it had about 20 tires in it.
The black smoke must have went 10,000 feet in the air and covered half the county.

Worth
Yeah, I made a small fire in my backyard a few nights ago. I burnt a few old cardboard boxes. They were a little damp and made some smoke. The only neighbours that had smoke in their yard were away for weekend and smoke blew into empty field. Cops were still at my door claiming complaints about the smoke.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #13
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Any breathable fabric works, row cover is convenient but not that cheap. Regular old bedsheets work great, for individual plants you can even use things like newspaper if you can figure out a way to keep it in place. If it is really cold, strands of x-mas lights under the cover can add a few degrees, just don't let them touch the plants.

Don't use sheets of plastic, it gets really cold and can transfer that cold to plants and damage them. Also don't use vinyl

Boxes work, and if the plants are still small, upside down flower pots or cut in half milk containers work too.

The other thing you can do is make sure the soil is well watered before the cold front approaches. Wetter soil makes a little warmer micro climate around the plants.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015   #14
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
Any breathable fabric works, row cover is convenient but not that cheap.
Row cover is very cheap IMHO 13-20 bucks for 25 feet. 5 feet wide. Works great, you can keep it on too, as light penetrates and it really get's warm in there. I have garden staples to hold it down. it can start to get expensive, but I always liked using the right tool for the right job. Makes life easier.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015   #15
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Since this is for the future and not a current problem, the most inexpensive way is to wait a week or 2 longer to plant.
Cool soil temperature will prevent your plants from really doing anything
those extra two weeks, so you're not gaining by planting out early.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote