Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 21, 2016   #1
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Default Peter Pepper question

Hi
Has anyone grown Peter Peppers from seed? If you have, can you give me an idea of how long roughly takes for the seed to germinate? The seed I have are on a heating pad during the day, in a peat pods planter with dome. I keep the pods moist, but not soggy or to wet. It has been a little over week, I know that some peppers can take awhile to germinate, but I am curious as to how long Orange Peters might take.
Thanks from Kathryn
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #2
karla-
Tomatovillian™

I have a Red Peter Pepper just waiting to go out in my garden. I don't have my notes in front of me, but it doesn't stand out as taking a long time to germinate, probably about a week-ish. I start my peppers and tomatoes in 3/4" soil blocks with bottom heat, and move them up to 2" soil blocks once the seedlings are upright.
karla- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #3
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Here in south Florida, I grow Peter Peppers also. Peppers like heat 85 degrees to germinate or warmer. Usually takes 10 to 12 days to germinate for me. They need more heat than tomatoes. Usually start my peppers around August 1st!
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #4
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Gardenboy: Hi Thanks for the rely. I count 8 days since I seeded the Orange Peter seed in peat pods. I hope I get some plants as the seed was rather expensive. I usually have excellent results growing peppers, tomatoes, eggplants and more when started in a domed peat pod planter, esp. on the heating pad. This has been a good pepper starting year so far...maybe I am just impatient Thank you so much for the great reply. I appreciate it from Kathryn
Old March 23, 2016   #5
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
Here in south Florida, I grow Peter Peppers also. Peppers like heat 85 degrees to germinate or warmer. Usually takes 10 to 12 days to germinate for me. They need more heat than tomatoes. Usually start my peppers around August 1st!
Hi
You were right I count 10 days on my calendar. (I wrote the soaking and seeding dates down this year) I just might have a Peter seeding-I see a pepper hook-so I hope. I talked to the vendor I bought the seed from-(no names as I think the seed sellers name might be a naughty word here) She said she would send my another pack of seed if mine did not germinate by Friday. Thanks for the reply! From Kathryn
Old March 22, 2016   #6
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Karla, Thank you for the kind reply Are you growing Red Peters? Thanks again from Kathryn

Last edited by tarpalsfan; March 22, 2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: I left something out of reply
Old March 22, 2016   #7
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

red ones popped in about 5 days from 2 year old saved seeds.
standard food warming trays on 1/2 voltage
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #8
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
red ones popped in about 5 days from 2 year old saved seeds.
standard food warming trays on 1/2 voltage
Hi
It has been about 10 days since I seeded the Orange Peters . On a heating pad and in a peat pod planter...some free seed that I received came up fast. (Jwala Finger Peppers) Today I see what might be a Peter emerging from one of the pods
Do you still have any of the Red Peter pepper seed?
Thanks for the reply! from Kathryn
Old March 23, 2016   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

If you don't have luck try different seeds. One year I had no luck with a bunch of pepper seeds that I purchased from one vendor.
I have great luck with Remy's Sample Seed shop,very good seeds and lots of them plus great prices!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #10
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
If you don't have luck try different seeds. One year I had no luck with a bunch of pepper seeds that I purchased from one vendor.
I have great luck with Remy's Sample Seed shop,very good seeds and lots of them plus great prices!
Hi
Thanks for the good advice. I buy from The Sample Seed shop every season. She had some sort of mix up with her Peter Pepper seed this year though. I bought yellow Peters from her a few years ago. The seed sprouted, but a critter(mouse I think) got the plants. I will try her again next season. Thanks for the reply
Old March 25, 2016   #11
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

It is probably the seed but thought I'd throw this out. A few years back there was a great article comparing different germination mediums for peppers. Peat pepper germination was found to be lower than most other mediums. Of course when you need something you can never find it Anyone have a link? Maybe try a new method with the next batch you start and compare.

Since you have to keep the pods super wet or its curtains for the seedlings I start peppers in trays only. Tomatoes tolerate that better than finicky peppers.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #12
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
It is probably the seed but thought I'd throw this out. A few years back there was a great article comparing different germination mediums for peppers. Peat pepper germination was found to be lower than most other mediums. Of course when you need something you can never find it Anyone have a link? Maybe try a new method with the next batch you start and compare.

Since you have to keep the pods super wet or its curtains for the seedlings I start peppers in trays only. Tomatoes tolerate that better than finicky peppers.

- Lisa
Hi
I am starting to think that there is something weak about Peter Pepper seed in general. I have tried Yellow Peter The Seed Shop a few years ago-this year expensive Orange Peter pepper from P.J.'s. I got 1 plant from the Yellow that didn't make it-and 1 Orange so far this your from the latter seller.
Other than that, I have been having an outstanding year regarding pepper seed germination. And eggplant and tomatoes...all in peat pod planters. I am not using big flats this year-but the 36 cell and 12 cell.
I certainly would try a different way to try to get some more of the Peter Pepper seeds to germinate I saw online some use jiffy cells with a sterile medium, planted with pre-soaked pepper seed, then wrapped in plastic wrap, and kept warm and moist until the seed germinates.
If I ever get some plants- and hopefully pods..I am going to save the seed.
The last seed seller said that she'd send me another package of seed. That is very nice!
Thanks for the reply and advice:hug: I sure do appreciate it! From Tarpalsfan/Kathryn
Old March 25, 2016   #13
4season
Tomatovillian™

The link is on the old windows XP machine (still here but disconnected) but one pepper site I went to said not to use peat. That year I started most in some Jiffy product or other and the germination and growth were fine.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #14
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
The link is on the old windows XP machine (still here but disconnected) but one pepper site I went to said not to use peat. That year I started most in some Jiffy product or other and the germination and growth were fine.
Hi
I have been researching ways to stimulate pepper seed germination quite a bit online-I read the same thing on a couple of website(not to use peat pots) The thing is, I I planted all of my other peppers in peat pot/pods and had supurb germination with both pepper and tomato.
Did you use the jiffy cells-(I am not sure what they are called).
Boy did I read a lot of stuff on how to get your pepper seed to germinate All sorts of soaks, freeze the seed, put them in the dark, give them some tea, or maybe they need aspirin! Maybe I should have just ordered some Red Peter plants from Jung's.
Thanks again for the reply! I really do appreciate it.
Old March 25, 2016   #15
4season
Tomatovillian™

These days about everything is started in 6 packs with 1 X 1 or 1X1.5 cells so there are 5 or 6 dozen per flat. I usually use well moistened ultimate potting mix and no bottom heat. Wood stove is in the back room so seeds go from about 80 at 10 (temp near the ceiling) when I go to bed and are at about 70 by morning. Yellow Hots were the only pepper that would not germinate for me. Changed the seed supplier and now they do.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pepper seed germination question