Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 5, 2007   #1
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Default Damage control for Fusarium Wilt

Out of 24 tomato plants I'm growing now, my beloved Black Plum is the only one to be suffering from Fusarium Wilt. I allowed the main stem to branch out when the plant was young. There are only 2 main branches to the plant. This made it easier to observe the disease in progress, as only one branch of the plant is affected so far and it is dropping young fruit. The other branch of the plant has several large clusters of fruit and it seems to be unbothered. Should I let these fruits run their course and run the risk of this disease spreading to my other plants, or do I need to have a funeral for this otherwise beautiful plant?
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to Tville. Glad to see you found us.

Are you sure it's fusarium wilt? I just don't know a lot of people in Texas that have problems with it. Not saying it's impossible, just wondering how you arrived at that diagnosis.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007   #3
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks Suze!

I assume it's Fusarium because I've been told that Verticilium is not such a problem in our area. Either way, It's definitely a Wilt. Whatever it is, Daconil won't kill it. By the time I see it on the leaves, the stems are usually full of dead brown tissue.

Anyway, is it worth leaving long enough for the big clusters of fruit to come to term, or is this a time bomb in my garden that should be yanked out now? Please advise

Thanks
Bubba
Old May 10, 2007   #4
macmanmatty
Tomatovillian™

If it really is Fusarium wilt then I would yank the plant before it gets to your other plants. But are you really sure its Fusarium? Fusarium usuallly affects the whole plant and you say only one branch is affected. Or are both wiliting now?? Could it be that the stem got broken somehow?? Is anyone using herbicides near the plant? Are your plants in raised beds or pots?? Do any other plants now show signs of wilting??
macmanmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007   #5
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Fusarium is a rather easy affliction to recognize. It will quite often turn half of a branch on a plant yellow. It Always...demonstrates, sorta quisical yellowing, there seems no order to its madness. It rarely affects fruits in progress, but it Does...put a halt on future Hopes we have for the plant.

It's a soilborne disease, and if u can catch it in time, foilage removal and a Heavy mulch will buy u some time, but in the Long run,,,Rotation,,,is your Real Cure...Best Wishes...))) Fusarium is a downer to see...but it aint a Killer....its jus a depresser...))) Starve it...by not allowin Solinacae species plants in the area, an growin upwind, as well as tryin to plant Strong Seedlings, that a thrip dont want to reside on.

a Strong Tomato plant will finish its business well, even if, it takes on fusarium affliction...it jus wont do well in its later time-frame of opportunity.
Old May 11, 2007   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

No time for a long post (will try to write more tonight). I did get your e-mail and will try and answer some of those questions too.

Gimme explained what you'll see w/the fusarium -- yellowing.

Also consider bacterial wilt as a possibility. In this case, you're generally not going to see yellowing like how you would w/fusarium.

Do a google images search on "bacterial wilt" tomato for some pictures.

If it's bacterial, you'll want to pull the plant, if fusarium, maybe or maybe not. I gathered from your e-mail you've had problems in the past -- so perhaps it's already in your soil.
Old May 14, 2007   #7
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

BBC...question after lookin at your posted pic...is this plant in a container, an if so, was it recently(within the last 2-3 weeks) moved,re-located, or re-oriented ?
Old May 14, 2007   #8
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Default Ok Suze, trying ooze test now.

Gimme, the tomatoes have been in the same place in the ground since late Feb.

Can anyone tell me: are any known varieties of tomatoes resistant to Bacterial Wilt?
Old May 14, 2007   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

BBC, something that may interest you.
http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/...19_53/_article
If it is a big problem you could also consider grafting your favorite Toms to disease resistant rootstock. I know Gimme3 has some experience in grafting with some pretty good results. Ami
Old May 14, 2007   #10
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Amie..yeah..i enjoy grafting when i can find the time. I love to see...how much more Vigor..can be added to a scenario. But in this case...i was reachin out on a limb. The picture shows some whiting areas on leaves, or perhaps that is just the camera's nature , or my mislead eye. It appeared possible, that Sunburn was causing this, but after your response , BBC..i'd rule that out. I really dont have any further guided ideas about this problem, but it does NOT look like Fusarium to me, at all. Need better pictures...i think....)))
Old May 14, 2007   #11
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbacain View Post
Can anyone tell me: are any known varieties of tomatoes resistant to Bacterial Wilt?
Did you try the 'ooze' test yet? I'm still not sure bacterial wilt is the problem, even though it sounds like it could be.
Old May 15, 2007   #12
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

BBC, are you still using "Physan 20" as a soil drench and "Actinovate"? Ami
Old May 15, 2007   #13
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Suze, I unfortunately was called away for work and wasn't able to do ooze test yet. Will try tomorrow. Amideutch, I only used Physan 20 once before the growing season begins. planting. Also only once with the Actinovate.
Old May 16, 2007   #14
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

BBC, the reason I ask is because Physan 20/Actinovate should take care of about any pathogen in the soil. So we definately need to find out what ails your plant, soilborne or airborne. Ami
Old May 16, 2007   #15
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Amiedeutch, Thanks for your concern. It's something new every year, or so it seems. I'm thankful I only have one plant with health issues. I know alot has to do with our unexpected weather changes. I'll simply need to build another bed so I can do proper rotation of my growing areas. Suze, I did the "slime test". Nothing oozed out of my infected stems, and the Black Plums are finally starting to change color. One thing is for sure: this is the year I've begun to realize how antiquated my tomato cages have become. I have a suspicion that if I stake and trellis my plants next year (or possibly even Florida Weave), I might wind up with healthier plants throughout the season.