Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 27, 2015   #1
zackeysmom
Tomatovillian™

Default What is the smallest container I can grow tomatoes in?

I have a bad back and shoulder. I want to grow tomatoes in 3 gallon pots this year. I know that's a very small pot, but that's the most I can lift. I have lots of regular/indeterminate tomatoes. Would one of those do better than another?
zackeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Silvery Fir Tree and various cherry tomatoes in standard hanging baskets, and they did fine.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

For most tomato varieties i wouldnt go smaller than 5 gallon pots unless if course your growing a micro dwarf then a smaller pot would work.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #4
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Why do you need to lift your pots once they are planted?
Old January 27, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I really think 5 gallons is the least you should go and even then it will be a pain keeping them watered and fertilized.
But to answer your question the determinates will do better.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Varieties that have done really well for me in 3 gallon pots are:

Jagodka
Pipo
Russian Cherry

These are compact red cherry tomatoes that I thought were good tasting.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't bother trying to grow an indeterminate in a pot that small. After the first picking, the tomatoes get smaller and smaller, at least when I try it.

Anything from the dwarf project is going to give you much better results. I did well in a 4-gallon container last year.

There are a lot of compact-growing varieties that would do well, also. Terrenzo and Lizzano are two red cherries bred for container growing. Tumbling Tom also thrives, but doesn't taste as good (yellow tumbling tom is better).

I haven't grown them in containers, but I have grown some compact determinates in a high tunnel. I would guess Taxi, Orange Blossom, and Northern Delight would all do ok in containers.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If you can go to a five gallon container, any one of the dwarf varieties will work beautifully and give you lots of options. And if you can you put the containers in place before you fill them, you won't need to move them.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #9
Tania
Tomatovillian™

There are many compact tomato varieties that do very well in 3 gal pots. Examples are Krainiy Sever, Tamyr, Ditmarsher, Aiaparl, Fuzzy Wuzzy, Bonté Tigret, Chibikko, Czech's Bush, Manö, Resista, Sandpoint, just to name a few.

The key ingredient for success is a good fluffy soil mix. If you got a good mix that retains water well and well aerated , they will thrive.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #10
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Brandywine and KBX in 3 gallon pots. Yes it can be done with indeterminates. But the dwarf varieties are right at home in 3 gal pots. Of course the frequency of watering and fertigation is more frequent but it's doable.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=small+pots

Ami
Old January 27, 2015   #11
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

I have a tomato plant growing in a couple cubic inches of soil with unlimited water, in a wine-bottle planter. The plant is big enough that it is falling over and is the only plant I have that is fruiting right now.
Old January 27, 2015   #12
zackeysmom
Tomatovillian™

I only lift the pots one time to put the soil and tomatoes in them. That's all I can lift. I am on a strict budget this year. I have no 5 gallon pots.
zackeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #13
taboule
Tomatovillian™

You already got some good advice. I'll add another tip: whether big or small, if you insist on moving them and have a semi-smooth surface to put them on, I advise you can easily build some small dollies to put the pots on. Something as simple as a 1ftx1ft piece of 3/4 plywood, to which are screwed 4 small casters in the corners (~$3 each). I made many of these for all my large indoor house plants so i can easily move them around, have some weighing over 80 pounds.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #14
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackeysmom View Post
I am on a strict budget this year. I have no 5 gallon pots.
As soon as the garden centers are up & running in your area, they may be putting out used, unwanted pots/carriers in large bins for recyling. Customers are welcome to make deposits and withdrawals to these bins and I've often found just the pots I was looking for.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #15
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I've seen camochef recommend getting free food grade 5 gallon buckets from Chinese restaurants, speaking of which I've got to hit up our local one. I had dwarf varieties in 5 gallon containers and they work perfectly. If you plant them where you want them you don't have to move them. I've grown Sungold and black and brown boar in 5 gallon pots, the sungolds were good but production was noticeably reduced and fruit size smaller. The first couple bbb were good but then BER was a big issue due to uneven watering. I pulled the plant early because it just wasn't doing good in a 5 gal pot.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote