Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 22, 2008   #18
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

I see many heated discussion regarding this topic. There is no need to if we identify all the factors in discussion. Many times we are talking about the same things, or arguing about different things.

· Aluminum is one of the best reflectors, including reflecting UV. That's why most optical instruments use alum. for mirrors.

· Most Mylar foil is alum coated plastic.

· Kitchen foil is alum, very good material to use, one side is more diffusing than the other.

· White is not better than mirror. Depends. The belief that mirror will focus light too much and burn leaves is not true. Most light source is too random to let this to happen.

· Mirror will not create too much shadowing in actual use.

· The perception that mirror is not as good as white is incorrect. White looks very bright, that's not good, because the light is not all going to the plants. On the other hand, mirror makes the walls look very dark, because it reflects all the light down on the plants.

· Be careful using foam boards to surround your growing area. It retains a lot of heat, which can be good or very bad.

My setup which I have been using for a few years, I use mirror Mylar with Velcro attachments. It takes a few minutes to setup and remove. The whole setup stores away in a small box. You will notice how dark the walls appear to the eye because most of the light is reflected down to the plants. You will notice the lack of shadows or hot spots.
dcarch

top view

With the front up. (Light is reflection from the camera's flash.)

with front removed
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote