Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 9, 2006   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Grub,

Just a wee note here but Golden Monarch is not a gold/red bicolor, as you wrote.

Many yellow tomatoes have a reddish/pinkish blush to them at the blossom end and perhaps a bit more, but true gold/red bicolors have those blush colors inside in the flesh as well as a marbling effect.

Golden Monarch is listed in the yellow/orange section of the SSE Yearbook, not in the Other Color Section where all the gold/red bicolors are listed.

And I remember Grub just perhaps three years ago when he was asking what a tomato was.

Now look at him go.

I forgot to post in that other thread, but Green Giant as grown by me up north here does have a slight amber tint, same as your PL Mystery Green, and I'm still looking for seeds my friend, even tho I have no idea if I'll be able to sow seeds this year or not.

Just to fondle the GMGS's ( Grub Mystery Green Seeds) if I can't sow them would be lovely.

I mentioned the amber tint thing b'c you said that your MG differed from Green Giant in that regard. Craig and some others in the south say they don't get an amber tint with Aunt Ruby and now Craig says that for Green Giant.

Craig sent me seeds of his Aunt Ruby and they certainly do have an amber tint when grown here in the north, and his friend Jeff also gets an amber tint when those seeds are grown in Michigan.

I think most of us tentatively conclude that it's a temperature, perhaps UV intensity related phenom.

Carolyn, dribbling on the keyboard looking at some of those pictures.
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote