Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 31, 2010   #1
ASFx2600
Tomatovillian™

Default Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds w/ trex boards

After a couple months of research, I decided to go with Trex boards to build my beds. Although it was a little expensive, I figured it was worth the extra cost to not have to worry about them rotting after 3-5 years. The boards are 5 inches thick, so i did four layers for a total of 20 inches high. The corners are made with 4x4 cedar blocks. As you can see, i extended the sides on two of the beds to a full 8ft high for the trellis netting (netting not yet attached).

The ground in my back yard is as hard as a rock, so I really didn't want to dig more than necessary. Instead of attempting to dig holes for stakes along the outside, I decided to connect the two middle posts on each bed with two more 4ft lengths to act as tension boards. I also adjusted the length of the corners so they'd come out longer on the side toward the walking path, and keep the beds level. Now that the beds are built, I plan to cover the walking paths with pebbles, so the gaps under the beds will no longer be visible.

ASFx2600 is offline   Reply With Quote