Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 16, 2010   #1
Katmary
Tomatovillian™

Default Question about purple herb with some green on leaves

Hi everyone!

I have a bunch of basils I started earlier this year under lights and managed to mix up my cinnamon basil with a different one. It isn't dark opal, but I don't know which it is! Up until that point I had lemon basils, lime, Genovese, and Sweet basil. It didn't dawn on me until I smelled it that it should have green leaves- I fell in love with it the first year I grew and grow it each year, and while purple flowers and stems are normal on it, the leaves aren't! They're purple/green, and I KNOW another of the purple varieties is likely what I mixed up which would have to be Cinnamon which should be green leaves, or a mixed pack and it should be a variety of colors, not just purple spotted green leaves. I have some mixture kits of basil where it's a packet with 6 kinds each, and bought two with different basils in each and can normally tell them part by scent and look, but this has thrown me for a loop!

Is it possible the seedlings came it purple instead? IF so, I may have mis-labeled, but I could have sworn that 9 cell was half Mrs. Burns Lemon Basil and Cinnamon basil. I bought a small Cinnamon basil plant from a nursery and while the leaves are the same shape, I can't see the purple ones being cinnamon, and if I accidentally planted a mixed pack, there would be green plants mixed in since out of 6-7 varieties, only 1-2 are different colors than green. SO, any chance Cinn. came in purple and will lighten up??? And which basil is it that comes in with green and purple on the leaves? I know that's in one mixed basils pack of mine, but not sure if it's Red Rubin, Purple Petra, or possibly the Dark Opal I planted later on and possibly mixed up somehow. Thanks for any help, I know this is confusing!!!

If cinnamon CAN come in purple and green, then it makes sense, but I suspect either the wrong seeds are in my pack or I accidentally swapped things around! If anything, I suspect the packet was mis-labeled as it doesn't smell like my cinnamon basil I grow each year.

Kat
Katmary is offline   Reply With Quote