Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 22, 2010   #1
cgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Paper Towel Method - much faster

First, I am still relatively new, learning and greatly appreciative of this forum. I wanted to share the results of a not completely controlled or on purpose experiment/comparison. Three weeks ago I bought one of the Jiffy pellet/greennouse/tray kits. (I've done paper towels before and it worked, but it seems to be more work in volume and organization.) I followed the instructions and planted accordingly - maybe 15 varieties. Then about 10 days ago, I bought/recieved some Wild Boar Farm seeds and decided to use the paper towel method, and when they started to germinate I put them in Foxfarms Light Warrior mix. This second batch is far far ahead of the Jiffy seeds, most of which have not shown yet. So I think the paper towel method may be almost two weeks faster from this experience.

(FWIW, I realize I am little late for our fall planting here so most of this is education. I do plan to sneak a few down to a friends ranch in far south Texas and persuade the foreman to keep one eye on them. I bought some started plants for home.)
cgs is offline   Reply With Quote