Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 26, 2010   #1
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Default Golden Queen

I thought i should split this off from the 1908 Stokes catalog thread

I found my Golden Queen plants and my memory wasn't as good as I thought.

Here is what Craig had posted in the other thread about what the true / USDA Golden Queen should be -

The keys are growth habit and color. The "real" Golden Queen (as introduced by Livingston) is a pale, bright yellow, oblate, not all that large (varies in size on the plant), and very vigorously indeterminate. Some of the fruit get a pinkish blush on the blossom end when very ripe.

The "other", later Golden Queen seems to be described as more of a determinant type or semi-indeterminate growth, larger rounder fruit, and more of a light orange color, not bright yellow, with no blush.

Actually what I found out in the field doesn't look like either description or any of the 3 pages at Tatiana's.

The plant is big and definately indeterminate. The fruit is more rounded and in the 8 oz range. The color is a bright golden orange with no blush outside or in. Taste was decent to good, tho I didn't have anything in the house to compare it with.

Here are some pics of my Golden Queen as offered by the current stokes company maybe 10 years ago. Whoops Looks like I will have to edit the pics before I can upload them. I'll post them in a few minutes.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote