Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 29, 2010   #1
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Default Closet Winter Glow out (and yes its tomatoes)

Wanted to do a winter grow out to try and get some F2 seed to grow out in spring for my Wild Tomato Breeding Project listed in the research forum. I will be using this post as a journal of it and will provide photos as it progresses. This is my first time growing under lights so hopefully it will all work out.

Lights I will be using are going to be CFL bulbs in 10 1/2 inch reflector clamp lights.

Eventually I will have two, the one in the image below is a 300w (68 actual watts) CFL with a standard base. This is the smaller of the 2 lights and is 2700k light temp which is what is used for blooming. Homedepot is dropping them from there inventory but may have them it was $17

The second light is used in photo and video production. These lights are actually a bit cheaper then the ones listed as grow lights and have a standard base, while the others of comparable size I have seen use a mogul base and require an expensive adapter or special fixture.

Flashpoint Replacement Fluorescent Bulb, 125 Watts, 5500k, Equivalent Output of 600 Watts, Fits Standard Household Sockets, E26 - E27

These lights can be found on Amazon for $23.95 plus shipping I think the one I have on order was $32 including shipping.

I have done some research and read about plant light spectrum absorption values to make sure this light will work for foliage growth commonly people recommend 6500k (I think this is because it is more common in the florescent bulbs). From the research I have done the best absorption value is actually 5700k and should always be at least 5000 + k so these should be fine.

I wanted to get my seed started while I wait for the other light so the following setup is just temp,

I will update as things progress.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote