Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 18, 2011   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default MythBusters Challenge - Tap Water vs. Filtered for Tomatoes

In my search for a filtration system that can filter out chlorine, chloramine, and other heavy metals from our Municipal Water system to feed my automated watering system for the EarthTainers, I have researched various filtration mediums and their effectiveness. Turns out that the optimal filter is made up of a combination of Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC) and a KDF combo.

The KDF technology combines a copper / zinc formulation into a "redox" system for removal of heavy metals, chlorine, VOCs and other undesirable elements. Here is a blurb on the KDF site:

"We can explain redox like this: KDF Fluid Treatment’s unique combination of copper and zinc creates an electro-chemical reaction. During this reaction, electrons are transferred between molecules, and new elements are created. Some harmful contaminants are changed into harmless components. Free chlorine, for instance, is changed into benign, water-soluble chloride, which is then carried harmlessly through the water supply. Similarly, some heavy metals such as copper, lead, mercury and others, react to plate out onto the medium’s surface, thus being effectively removed from the water supply. KDF water treatment filter media extend the life of granular activated carbon (GAC) while protecting the carbon bed against fouling by bacterial growth."

http://www.kdfft.com/index.htm

The only KDF / GAC in-line filter I could find is made by Watts and costs about $24.00 on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Watts-FP10GKT-...0505468&sr=8-1

I had originally purchased the Camco RV filter:

However, it uses a relatively large 100 micron screen which will not remove the heavy metals nor VOCs, as the Watts filter will:

As I already had it installed, I decided to daisy-chain the two filters together with the Camco upstream to filter out the big stuff, then it flows through the 5 micron screen Watts filter.

So it will be interesting to compare plant health, salts buildup in the water reservoir, fruit production and taste from last Season, to results this year with the new filtration system.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote