Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 7, 2011   #1
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

Default Which is better - small or large transplant?

My first time starting from seed so a little worried that my seedlings are not progressing very fast. I am attempting to follow the suggestions by NCtomatoman in the top sticky for dense planting method.

I started most of my seed on 3/19/2011 and that should give me 7 weeks before last frost/plantout.

I have them under a 4-tube shop light, of T8, 32w, 2800 lumen, 3000k color temp, about 2-3 inches from the tops of plants. Everything seems to be progressing OK. Almost all have a set of true leaves and some of the cotyledons have started to yellow.

The tallest ones are only about 1.5 inches tall. I plan to transplant to 4" pots this weekend and put in mini-greenhouse for the next 4 weeks.

Yesterday, however, I found myself in a local nursery that already has tomato transplants that are 18" tall in gallon pots (a month before last frost!). I couldn't stop myself from thinking that I've come to this seed starting party a few weeks too late. But then I remembered reading on Darrel Jones' site that small, healthy plants are preferable to larger plants.....about phase of growth, etc. and I calmed down.

I am not going to tear up or anything but could someone confirm that I am on track for successful tomato plants if they are only 1.5" high at 2.5 weeks from sowing and 4.5 weeks til plant out?
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote