Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 17, 2011   #1
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Default Chemical Nitrogen and Plant Appearance

I have noticed that there is a difference in appearance between seedlings grown with chemical fertilizers and those grown without them. I first noticed this when I visited Home Depot a couple weeks back. All the plants, regardless of variety, were dark green, stout, and the leaves might, in some cases, be thicker.

Then I gave some Box Car Willie plants to my father-in-law and he gave them a dose of blue stuff and some granular vegetable fertilizer. His all have that same appearance. Mine, though healthy, do not.

Now, don't get me wrong. My seedlings are all very healthy looking, and in no way do I mean to suggest that the chemical plants are better. But it is rather interesting to me. I know that I have plenty of available nitrogen in my soil and have regularly been watering with manure tea. The plants are vigorous and strong, but with the exception of one potato leaf variety none of my plants exhibit that dark green color.

So I know this post is sort of pointless, but since this is something I have never noticed before, I thought I'd see whether anyone else had observed this.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote