Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 27, 2011   #1
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Default Fogponic/ constant flow system

Posting some details in reply to another thread.

It is just a 6 unit, it looks like a bubbleponics system but instead of using an air pump it is a hybrid fogponics / constant flow system. I designed it with tomatoes in mind but growing hydroponic peppers in it this year. The fogponic systems are prone to promoting bacteria growth and tend to get slimy. Also nutrient salts tend to build up on the roots. The constant flow I came up with seems keep everything flushed out and moving, I even impregnated the expanded clay (hydroton) with a bacteria/ myco mixture so it acts as a bio filter of sorts. So far no clogging and the PH and EC values tend to stay in except able levels. I change out the nutrients every 3-4 weeks just to be on the safe side but could possibly let them go longer if I wanted to.

Here is a video of the unit working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ejbHav4Uho