Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 15, 2011   #1
whistler
Tomatovillian™

Default What to sell at Farmer's Markets until tomato harvest

I joined a local Farmer's Market this year (kind of an unplanned but so far enjoyable and somewhat profitable decision), and now that the tomato seedling selling window is closing, I need some thoughts on other items to sell. (And hopefully some suggestions on how to more fully plan out next year's Farmer's Market products...)

For now, I have some strawberries about to ripen that I can take, and the raspberries will be ready soon. I thought I'd also take some cut flowers, sacrificing my home landscaping in the process... Other ideas are thinning the strawberry bed and raspberry bed and selling the excess plants. Eventually, I will have a variety of beans, onions, cucumbers, beets, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, sweet peppers, hot peppers, eggplants, and of course, heirloom tomatoes from my backyard garden.

I'm considering starting some Swiss Chard, maybe some lettuce. I could always start some more seeds in pots for some vegetables that you would just as easily direct sow, since some people think starting with the plant saves them time...

No crafts are allowed, only items that you personally grow or prepare (flowers, seedlings, fruits, vegetables, soup, bakery items, etc.). However, I am not licensed to do prepared foods, and that is something I wish to pursue.

All suggestions / words of wisdom (especially from more experienced sellers and from frequent Farmer's Market consumers) are welcome!
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote