Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 15, 2011   #1
dborris
Tomatovillian™

Default Canning Toms with spices - question

Canning tomatoes - question:

(Please reply if you have done this with success. I know many will say it's a big NO, NO but if some have done this with success that's what I need to know.

I know how to can tomatoes and do it just like my Grandmother used to:
Cook down tomatoes, slow boil for a few hours.
Meanwhile put jars through dishwasher.
Add hot tomatoes to hot jars, add lid/seal and set on counter.
They all seal without water bathing. My Grandma always did this and never had a problem (she did hundreds every year).

This year I did this but without thinking I added an onion, 6 garlic pieces, little olive oil, parsley and basil (from garden) to my bushel of tomatoes. I then sealed them like my Grandma did.

Did I ruin an entire batch by adding additional items other than the toms? I made 22 quarts last night and they are all sealed on my counter. I did not add lemon juice or vinegar and I did not water bath.

I'm thinking it's ok but some websites say it's a big no, no. If it's not safe I don't want to lose all my hard work so wondering what ya think. If it's really a big fat NO should I process my already sealed jars (I have a water bath canner and a pressure canner) or do I stick them all in the freezer?

I want to talk with an older Grandma/Grandpa who can tell me but don't have either anymore...

If you have any thoughts I'd appreciate it.
dborris is offline   Reply With Quote