Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 25, 2011   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloken View Post
Since this thread got bumped up..Maybe we need to start a new one on hoy?
I had no problem with germination. 5 out of 6 seeds. A couple in pots in the GH and a couple in a bad place outside was the best i could do. Problem was it was way late here in Colorado. they were the fastest growing tomato I have ever grown. No set of fruits was the problem. Little flowers and then drop. I managed to get a couple of tiny little ones to save for seed for myself but I don't trust them to give to any one else. I have two plants now in the window from cuttings. They are 3 foot tall and show no indication to flower yet. But they sure do grow. My thought are that it is a very large plant and very late to produce. It could be that mine just hit the wrong time of the summer. I look forward to trying again next year.
TEd, I don't think we need yet another thread for Hoy b/c there's the one here already in this Forum where strax was introducing it and giving background info, then the one in the Legacy Forum where Richard was talking about seed production and showing pictures and referred folks to the trade Forum, where he'd be offering seeds and so there's that one, and also this one in the GEneneral Discussion area where seed germination was being discussed.

So that's FOUR threads about Hoy alone and if there were four separate threads about a single new variety that anyone introduced, well, just think about that.

I think the background about the variety that strax gave as well as the fruits being large captivated many. But as Richard has said, I think here in this thread, he rates the taste at about 7/10, and taste being personal and subjective, it means to me, at least, that there's going to be a wide range of taste comments based on the fact that taste is both personal and perceptual and also depends on how the plants are grown, the weather in any given season, what amendments are used and which ones and how often, well you get my drift.

There are threads here that go out to many many pages and this one I think is only at page three, and folks are already switching from germination to commenting about other things.

All to say that IMO I don't think another Hoy thread is needed.