Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 19, 2011   #16
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I'll answer from the perspective of having grown about 50 varieties of okra and having found a very few that are really good and very productive.

1. Burmese - this is a true dwarf variety but has a serious flaw in that it quits producing after about 30 pods per plant regardless of whether you keep it picked or not. Eating quality is good to excellent fried, and makes decent boiled okra. Burmese holds tender on the plant for 2 - 3 days but is best picked daily at less than 4 inches long for eating quality. It can be fried or boiled but is not good pickled.

2. Evertender - This is a decent producer of frying okra that makes relatively slim plants up to 7 feet tall. It is moderately productive and easy to grow. The plants are so slim that they can be leaned over very easily, even by the weight of growing pods. This okra is best if harvested daily, the pods get tough at 4 to 5 inches long. It can be used fried or boiled but not pickled.

3. Granny Franklin - This is the best overall variety I've grown. It is more versatile than Clemson Spineless and more productive than most commercial varieties. The only weakness this variety has is that it is relatively slow to start production, about a week longer to first harvest than Burmese. Otherwise, the plants are sturdy, production is high, flavor is excellent, and the pods can be used fried, boiled, pickled, or roasted. No other okra I've grown combines this many good traits. It is just about the same as clemson spineless for prickly spines. Wear long sleeves when you harvest it. This okra is best if harvested daily but can go every other day most of the time.

4. Cowhorn - is my standard variety but can be HUGE. I've had plants 15 feet tall. It is a very tender okra with relatively few spines. The pods stay tender on the plant up to 8 inches long and sometimes even longer if there is lots of rain. This is an excellent fried okra but is not a good pickling okra.

5. Longhorn - This is another good variety with excellent production. It is longer season than some but still a top notch producer. The plants top out about 5 to 6 feet tall. Pods toughen up relatively fast so should be picked daily at less than 4 inches long. It can be fried or boiled but is not a good pickled okra.

Sandhill Preservation is an excellent source for okra seed.
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/

Here is a pic of cowhorn that you will enjoy. This photo was taken by me standing up holding my camera above my head and pointing nearly straight up. As you can see, the plants get TALL.
http://www.selectedplants.com/garden.../Okra.pods.jpg

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote