Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 4, 2012   #1
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden Soil or Compost?

I've dug a trench for new bed. Our "soil" is about four inches of red clay on top of hard, sticky, black clay. This is why I dug it all out. I'm tired of fighting with it and do not want to compromise in this new bed. I plan on growing various greens in this bed, such as collards, kale and spinach. I also plan on using whatever is left over for my tomatoes in the other beds as well as containers. In searching for bulk soils to fill the trench, I have some questions. First, my trench description:

It runs the width of my yard, about two feed down and two feet wide with brick edging that will sticks up about a foot above the surface.

I don't know if that matters, but question is, do I use garden soil or pure compost? The price is the same. Here are the descriptions of each:

Flower And Garden Soil

Blended from organic matter, fungal compost, decomposed granite, our Bed Mix and humates, this soil is rich in iron and sulfur. It comes ready to use. So spread it on your lawn and fill up your flower beds with vibrant, colorful life.

and...

Triple Power Compost

The highest quality compost in the land. Blended from manure, Texas hardwoods and organic matter. Rich in iron and sulfur with a pH of 6, perfect for Central Texas. Great for increasing the vibrance of flower and vegetable beds. Best for lawns when blended with existing soil or our Turf Mix/Topdressing.
Vegetable and Flower Gardens – Spread 1″ of Triple Power Compost (approximately 8 bags per 100 sq. ft.) thoroughly work into the top 4 to 6″ of soil prior to planting.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote