Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 27, 2012   #11
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

I've seen photos of whatever variety somebody or another (a charlatan, if you ask me) was marketing as "1500 Year Old Cave Bean." They're not at all the same variety as Anasazi Pole Bean, which is a vigorous grower whose dry beans are almost identical to those of the bush bean Jacob's Cattle.

...Or at least can be a vigorous grower under the right conditions. Obviously, all I can know is how well it does in a dry climate with long, warm or hot summers. l don't know for sure if it would tolerate "hot AND humid" so well, but it would be nice to find out.

Unfortunately, as I wrote above, there's been some apparent cross-breeding, or maybe somebody passing off Jacob's Cattle as Anasazi, and the only way one can be pretty sure of getting the vigorous pole strain is to buy beans from Dove Creek-- or somebody who has descendants of Dove Creek seed stock, which is what I hope to be in a season or two. I did write "unfortunately" above because I hate to patronize people with the gall to try to trademark a varietal name for an open-pollinated heirloom. I'm almost certain the Dove Creek people just "discovered" the variety they named Anasazi, much the same way Columbus quote "discovered" unquote the Americas. I'm pretty sure Dove Creek did nothing in particular to improve Anasazi.

The bulk foods manager at the food co-op sort of feels the same way.

...But in any case, "1500 Year Old Cave Bean" (cough, cough) isn't the same bean.

[EDITED TO ADD:] I see now the name of the company with the trademark is Adobe Milling. Dove Creek, Colorado is the town.

Last edited by Petronius_II; January 27, 2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: clarifying my mistake
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote