Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 27, 2012   #1
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

Default Crow Garlic, Anyone?

As promised on the "strange onion flower head " thread, where somebody else mentioned Allium vineale, I'm a-gonna talk about it now.

My mother grew Crow Garlic. She called it "wild garlic," later specifying "it's really a wild onion." I've been doing a lot of research into this species because I still remember with utmost fondness the delicious, strong-flavored garlic bread Mom used to make with it.

Allium vineale is the bad boy of the Allium world. Allium vineale, like Rodney Dangerfield, don't get no respect. Except from a few people like me whose families have made good use of it.

Over on Dave's Garden, A. vineale gets 2 positive, 2 neutral, 4 negative votes. Some people say it's invasive, and I'm sure that under some conditions it can be. It's not native to the Americas, but after being introduced from Eurasia to North America and Australia, it's become fairly well established on both continents.

It never became invasive at my family's house. We were too busy making garlic bread from our few specimens to let them spread very far. And that was Indiana, with a fair amount of rainfall. It would be difficult for it to become invasive in New Mexico, especially if I grow it in a pot to begin with, which will probably be the case.

Others say it tastes too strong, has an unpleasant aftertaste, etc. I find myself wondering if any who say such things ever bothered to actually cook it. I don't like the flavor of uncooked regular garlic, either, or raw onions for that matter. Generally speaking, only when alliums are subjected to heat does the flavor mellow enough to suit my tastes.

Others say don't let your cows eat it because it will ruin the milk; I don't plan to own any milk cows in the foreseeable future.

Lastly, Allium vineale has been accused of poisoning dogs! Always by somebody who never bothers to provide a documented source for the accusation.

I think this species may have some really interesting potential if managed properly. But for the moment, I have no idea how to find any. A few topsets would be enough to get me started. Anybody have any?

Note: the easiest way to distinguish Allium vineale from the sometimes very similar-looking native Allium canadense is by the fibrous covering of the underground bulb that A. canadense has, and A. vineale doesn't:

http://www.missouriplants.com/Blueal...eale_page.html

http://www.missouriplants.com/Pinkal...ense_page.html

...Sooo... once again... Anybody know where I can get me some Crow Garlic?
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote