Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 25, 2012   #18
ljp
Tomatovillian™

I've had a bougainvilea growing indoors for several years. It started in a 3 inch pot and grew to about 15 feet. I draped it over our kitchen windows. In the beginning I was told to let it dry out between waterings to get it to bloom. It has bloomed at least once a year, usually January to March which seemed strange but nice.

Lately, the plant hasn't been doing well. It could be being in the same dirt for a decade or lack of fertilizer. However, the one time I fertilized it, it died back. I did prune off all the dead branches and some live ones. Most of the vines I left promptly lost their leaves. Today, I noticed new growth along the oldest vine. I've never managed to root a cutting.

I was going to toss it, then I saw a short plant shaped to a tree for $300. Does any one have advice for keeping this plant healthy, not just alive?
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote