Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 22, 2006   #1
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Default Pale Perfect Purple X Purple Price 94-64

Purple Perfect X Purple Price 94-64

Seed received from Craig – thank you! I have three plants in this grow out "A", "B" and "C". I believe these were from F2 seed. And a bit a background:

Ozark Pink – parent of Pale Perfect Purple (aka as Purple Perfect) (fw1, vw, ber, cr) 65 days. (Indeterminate) [Introduced 1991 by SESE Released exclusively to SESE. by the Univ. of Arkansas Dept. of Horticulture.] 'Ozark Pink' is adapted for growing on stakes for vine-ripe harvest for home gardens and farmer's markets. Plants reach a height of 5 feet, bearing 7 oz. flattened-globe fruits with few defects, and uniform ripening shoulders (u gene). Developed from a complex pedigree involving 'Bradley', 'Arkansas Traveler 76', 'Heinz 1439', and 'Campbell 1327', the pink fruits have excellent eating quality and good shelf life. Unlike many other varieties, flavor is not greatly affected by early harvest in the post breaker (pale pink) stage. Very productive all season. Recommended for hot, humid, disease-prone areas.

Purple Price: Craig says: "Two tomatoes that are unique for their unusual color are Cherokee Purple and Price’s Purple. Each are very dark pink, nearing brownish purple. The interiors are brick red, with green gel surrounding the seeds. Cherokee Purple is a regular leaf, large oblate variety, while Price’s Purple is a large potato leaf type. Both have intensely rich flavors, and tend to be controversial, probably due to the color, which some find rather unappetizing!"

"A" is still green

"B" beautiful fruit, mild taste tending toward sweet, very juicy:

“C” outstanding flavour, deep, rich sweet. Unfortunately the one I was going to take a picture of disappeared from the vine. I will post a picture of the next ripe.

All three are PL, all differ in shape, but “B” and “C” are both pink/blacks.