Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 16, 2012   #1
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Default 5 Things I Learned this Year

As I mentioned before, this was my first REAL year of growing for market, and it was a lot of fun actually. It's done now, maybe a small production in the fall but I am expanding and already loading up for winter seed starting and production for next spring.

Along the way 5 things really, really struck me and stuck with me.

1 Be on time! Be on time with your seed starting and transplants. As soon as you can get em in the ground and stay on em.

2 Grow what grows in your neck of the woods! I mentioned before that you cant sell what you dont have. Experimenting is fun, if you dont mind losing a lot of time and product if it doesnt work out, which a lot of it wont. Use your resources and grow what works. I know next year I will expand to about an acre and a half, just for tomatoes. I also know that plot will consist of BHN 444, Top Gun, and a determinate cherry variety. Not because I am extatic about them, but they flourish here and produce like crazy. Again, when selling you have to have product. I also only want determinates for managability.

3 Be religious with your pest control and fungus control. Write out a plan and stick to it. Again, use what works in your area. Remember, by the time you see the problem its too late.

4 Cull your produce! Only sell what you would want to buy. I donate the other stuff to the nursing homes, fire dept., etc. You make a lot of friends that way. You get an all around good reputation. Keep your quality high!

5 Use this place a lot! Great people, mountains of knowledge, always willing to help.

The demand for local grown is through the roof. I dont know of too many things these days with the growth potential that compares. It is a lot, lot of work and vary seasonal. You have to plan ahead, you have to have back up plans and be ready for anything that can come at you.

Again I cant say enough times to use your local resources, county extenion, master gardners, other local farmers, and here, the folks at Texas A&M are great.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote