Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 26, 2012   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default Early Det. Mkt Varieties

I had good luck with some Early Girls in buckets in my greenhouse last spring. The flavor was surprisingly good for being two months ahead of outdoor soil crops. I am going to grow more of the Early Girls because now I know I like the flavor. I don't want to sell something I don't like to eat.

What I don't like about Early Girl is that the plant is not a true determinate. I have been looking at commercial varieties, and I wanted to ask everyone here if they have any experience with them. semena.org (I know Monsanto owns them) has Debut, Dual Early, and Sunrise, all of which are about 60 days and recommended for early culture in greenhouses. The Terrenzo cherry that I like so much is 70 days, but I think I will still grow them anyway; the taste is excellent.

The only true spitter that I grew this year was "Container's Choice." It was not an early tomato, but it was mealy and not sweet at all. I'm looking for a more professional variety than Early Girl, but still something with a decent sugar content that tastes similar. I don't ship, so I don't care about thick skins or firm texture.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote