Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 10, 2012   #1
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default Question about the Gilbert Italian Plum

I have a question about the origins of the Gilbert Italian Plum tomato. There is a man who has very generously supported our school gardens here in Connecticut, his name is Sal Gilbertie. The Gilbertie family has been farming in Connecticut for many generations, starting when they first arrived here from Italy. Now I was speaking with Sal about tomatoes, my favorite subject, of course. We got into this discussion about seed production and I gave him some Cowlick Brandywine plants to try because I was trying to convince him he needed to sell that strain of Brandywine. He told me that he really wants to support organic seed companies so he doesn't do his own seed production EXCEPT for one tomato.

The one tomato he told me about is a paste tomato that has a little point on the end - now I realize we could be talking about many paste tomatoes here, but anyway he has this tomato that I believe he calls the "Gilbertie Paste Tomato" and it is the one that he said his grandmother brought here from Italy.

I know that Sal would not make up a "fake heirloom" story - as a matter of fact he just told me about the tomato history because we were having a discussion about heirlooms. He doesn't advertise the story and as far as I know he hasn't told it to very many people. So I do believe him about the origin of the tomato.

I have seed the "Gilbertie Tomato" listed in seed savers and there is a story about how it originated from Pennsylvania.

I have also seen the paste tomato named the "Gilbert Plum Tomato."

I'm wondering whether the Gilbertie Tomato and the Gilbert Tomato might be the same tomato.

I believe Sal is also a member of Seed Savers Exchange so maybe he has offered it there in the past.

I'm also wondering if the Gilbert tomato and the Gilbertie tomato might be the same as Sal's family heirloom tomato.

Anyway, if anyone knows more about the Gilbert Plum Tomato and/or the Gilbertie Tomato I would love to hear what you know about them.

Thank you
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote