Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 22, 2013   #1
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Default Inheriting a clay garden for veggies

Long story here or short story below

[So my dad is handing over his very large garden to me this year. He lives in Parma, OH and it is a very clay garden. My gardening experience is 5 years of container gardening in the San Diego inland desert and one year in the Parma area last year in a small area with 8 tomato plants, some cucurbits and beans in growbeds with a soil-less mix (peat, perlite, pine bark fines.) It was very productive...

He loved it and wants me to "fix" his garden. I know nothing about clay and only containers.]

short story

[My dad wants we to fix his large clay garden and I know nothing about clay since I'm a container gardener.]

Grow beds aren't an option here with costs.
I have from now until May to make it better. Biggest concerns;

1.Drainage, it has none. A wet spring will kill it for weeks.
2.Fertilizing, I used a lot in my containers and grow beds and I've read clay is a different monster that holds it in.
3.PH levels. I know I need to add a lot of organic material but I'm worried about making the clay more alkaline and adding more npk to the clay.

Thanks for any help!
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote