Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 5, 2013   #1
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Default Alaska brand fish ferts- Bought 18 bottles, now what?

I have a love affair with Lowes. They've been marking products down left and right. I've had my eyes of this stuff for a while now, waiting for the price to hit rock-bottom:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_75698-1321-1...7C0&facetInfo=

It was $11.47 a bottle. They marked it to $6 or so, then down to $4 and something. Yesterday, it was $1 per bottle. I found the $1 tag on an empty shelf. I was so ticked but then remembered that they had these bottles scattered around in other displays. I bought them all! So now I'm sitting on 18 bottles of fish nastiness.

These are 32 oz bottles with a hose attachment. I really don't care for the attachment and plan on taking the attachment off some of the bottles, somehow, and just using the product as a regular concentrate. A couple of the bottles had hairline cracks in the plastic and will need to be used very soon. They won't take the pressure of the water coming through the hose. I don't feel like taking a fishy bath.

Has anyone used this particular product or brand before? The formula is 2-5-3. I couldn't pass this up! It looks like the manufacturer has discontinued the product since it's not on their webpage anymore. I'm thinking this would be a good foliar product without that hose end thing. I've only used seaweed or Medina Hasta Grow for foliar feeds before. I'll just dilute it in a sprayer. I've just got to find a way to get that hose attachment off! Crowbar? Also, I'm hoping this doesn't have a short shelf life. I'm assuming if I store it in a cool(ish), dark location I'll be fine (not that Lowes did that, though). Is fish fert stable over the long term?

Also, has anyone tried combining smaller bottles of liquid fert into a larger bottle. I have some old 1 gallon juice bottles with very thick walls that I washed and stuck back for my DH. I think I'll raid his bottle stash! I'll disinfect the bottle. I'm thinking if there are any critters in the old bottle, they need to be gone before I add the fish ferts. I don't want any surprises waiting in the garage. I would only do this for the bottles with the hairline cracks. The ones that are well sealed will stay that way until I use them. I know I'm on borrowed time with the compromised bottles. Thank goodness I'm in the middle of planting out!

Christy
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote