Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 16, 2013   #11
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

[HTML]And that's why not only am I OK with how "The Posse's" going about tomato breeding, but am an enthusiastic participant. Maybe the end result's not as good as it could have been, who knows? But we're having fun, getting our hands dirty, and eating things that we had enough passion not only to grow, but to create. And isn't that kind of the point?[/HTML]

I'm going to address this part of your post since you are asking for opinions

As someone who does not breed tomatoes I see no problem with what you're doing in sharing crosses with friends and discussing all the aspects of growing and breeding tomatoes. More power to ya ..and while it's not my cup of tea, I don't begrudge anyone enjoying a hobby.

Where things get sticky for me as a seed buyer is when you or anyone else sells me seed that is not stable. Since I do not breed tomatoes and have no desire to breed tomatoes, I don't want to pay my hard earned money to get 6 different tomatoes off 6 plants of the same seed. I want what is advertised so I can make an informed decision as to whether I like that variety or not.

Now mind you, I don't have a dog in this fight. I know from being a member of several boards and reading for many years several of the players in this fight.. but all I am concerned about is truth in advertising. I am putting total faith in the seed sellers I buy from that the seeds I purchase are as advertised. As I said earlier, I am not a breeder and have no desire to be a breeder, but I can just look at the photos through the eyes of an old lady that has been growing tomatoes for about 35 years that surf4girl posted and see there is a screw loose somewhere. Yes, you can get a couple of different shapes going on due to weather during a growing season, but different colors and shapes just dont cut the mustard for me.

If someone is trading seeds or sharing seeds with friends for a SASE and that kind of mess happens then its okay to say oops lets go back and try this again. If you are selling seed and the consumer gets a hot mess like that, then thats a whole different story.