Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 4, 2013   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default broccoli way too early heading

This seems to occur sometimes in the fall or in the spring and it is really aggravating. I planted out young fast growing broccoli and cabbage seedlings for spring and the broccoli started heading when it was only about 9 inches tall. I have had this happen in the fall when the heat doesn't let up like it should and I have had it happen in the spring when using plants that were too old or when summer heat arrived early. We have had what would seem a perfect spring for broccoli and yet this year it just headed up for no apparent reason. I talked to another couple of gardeners around here and they had the same thing happen and they were at a loss to explain it. I had a fantastic fall and winter broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower crop. I'm having an even better year than ever with Brussels sprouts and the spring cabbage is doing great. We have had cool spring weather much later than is usual and that usually delays heading. After cutting the main head and a few puny side shoots I just pulled it way early and put in some tomatoes.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote