Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 2, 2014   #1
aflatea
Tomatovillian™

Default What's wrong with my yummy bell?

This is my first year container gardening. I have a Yummy Bell (mini orange bell) in a 5 gallon pot with a mix of 80% Jungle Growth Flower and Vegetable Mix and 20% organic manure compost. I also have 2 inches of marble sized gravel in the bottom for drainage. It is in full sun (sunrise until about 3pm when the sun moves) in Florida in Zone 9a (the west coast of florida about halfway between Tampa bay and the panhandle). When I water, I make sure it's soaked enough that water runs out. I only water when it feels dry up to my first knuckle. I pinched off the entire first crop of buds I read somewhere to do that so it grows bigger first. I also treat it every 3 days with a ready-mixed organic insecticide and haven't found any insects early in the morning at all.

The plant had dark purple in the crotch of the branches and now the purple is creeping up the stems. The leaves are also greenish/yellowish and curling upwards. I've been dragging all my containers up against the house under the porch for a windbreak/so they don't get overwatered.

I attached a picture. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

yummybell.jpg
aflatea is offline   Reply With Quote