Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 16, 2014   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog View Post
Waiting for someone to finish the Magnus story! please ! hope this doesn't end up like MASH and The Rooster Crowed at Midnight. lol
Can do.

I had one Magnus plant in my tomato field and it was set out very late b'c it took close to two months for any germination.

Fall approached, I was back teaching full time, and soon it got close to first killing frost. So after work I'd stop by the farm and cover that one plant, and that meant in the AM I'd have to swing by again, to uncover it.

My mother was still living there, but used a walker and couldn't go outside and also had developed senile dementia.

It was midweek and I saw two large fruits that had developed more than just a blush so I took them inside to the kitchen and told my mother I'd be there Saturday to check on them.

I did, she said they'd ripened up and she ate both of them.

No words can express how I felt, but there was no way I could blame my mom either.

Then I got lucky again and we went into Indian Summer, as it was called, with warmer temperatures. I think it was two or three more large ones developed a blush and this time I took them to where I was living at the time, and when ripe back to the farmhouse b'c that's where I did all of my fermentations.

End of story.

Carolyn