Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 28, 2014   #1
jjones
Tomatovillian™

Default Earthbox/EarthTainer and Urban Farms BioActive Fertilizer

I HAVE been doing quite a bit of searching and reading on Tomatoville and other sites, so I apologize if I'm asking something already well-discussed, just please point me to what I overlooked.

I had a very successful (4th) tomato season using nine Earthboxes, with Promix BX (2nd planting), 1lb of Dr. Q's 7-7-7 (shorter, center strip), 1 lb of dolomite, weekly calcium nitrate "snack", and foliar spaying about every five days with Spray-n-Grow Perfect Blend Trio (switching out Bob's Perfect Fertilizer with SeaCom PGR after a couple weeks), with Actinovate added to the spray mix. Any leftover spray, I applied to the roots, at the base of the plant. Large beautiful plants, abundant fruit, but a bit of work, and eighteen huge plants maxed out the capacity of my powered 5 liter sprayer.

I expect to plant a fall crop in a few weeks, and I'd like to experiment, especially if I can cut down (or eliminate) foliar feeding in the heat and humidity, maybe just spraying Actinovate, etc., as needed.

So, my questions are: Has anyone used Urban Farms Bioactive in the fertilizer strip in their Earthboxes/EarthTainers? How much (two pounds???)? Did you supplement with Urban Farms liquid Vegetable Fertilizer and/or Texas Tomato Food? With what method, concentration, and frequency did you supplement? Any actual issues with dispensing Urban Farms liquid fertilizers through the Earthbox Automatic Watering System (AWS)? I have an AWS that I have never installed.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote