Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 14, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default WinterSown

I'm still checking out seed catalog sites and I got stuck on the WinterSown.Org site that habitat_gardener gave me/us info about. In the past couple of days, I must have looked at least 50 different sites just to see pictures and information on a lot of those types of tomato seeds offered at http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Your...mato_SASE.html

I had it narrowed down to the $10 donation that returns 12 choices and 8 defaults. Then we found out our car's alternator has to be replaced today, so I had to whittle those 12 choices down to 6. I kept the 2 seed choices that made the most logical sounding sense for where we live, and I chose 1 other that you guys have mentioned that I should try. The last 3 just looked great or sounded exotic. After all, the seeds are free so why not try something cool and different?

Here are my choices: *

Arkansas Traveler ~ Delicious pink tomatoes, about 8 ounces each, good cropper for hot and humid climates, IND, about 80 DTM

Kwangtung 105 ~ Chinese variety with bright red, mostly medium fruits, fine all-purpose tomato is good cropper, Semi-DET, about 72 DTM

Mountain Gold ~ Pretty and delcious oblate golden-yellow fruits, good cropper and disease resistant (V,FF), DET, 70+ DTM

Riesenstraube ~ German name means 'giant bunch of grapes', this red cherry tomato has pointed ends, very yum, IND, 75+ DTM

Siberian ~ Extra-early Russian variety produces 2" - 3" red fruits on small plants, nice for fast tomatoes, DET, 57+ DTM

Texas Wild Cherry ~ Large plants are loaded with small red cherry tomatoes, yummy and sweet with a touch of tang, IND, 70+ DTM

*The above info is a sited selection from WinterSown. I just added the Bold and color in MS Office Word 2003.

From May - July, it is very hot and humid here typically. We live about 300-or-so miles from the Gulf of Mexico, but it is still really humid here in those 3 months. I chose Texas Wild Cherry and Arkansas Traveler because of this. And Worth1 said-so on the Texas Wild Cherry Tomatoes.

Siberian comes from you guys mentioning I should try them.

Riesenstraube and Kwangtung are just exotic sounding to me.

Mountain Gold tomatoes in the pictures I've seen look like the quintessential beautiful golden-yellow tomato. Well, it looks really good at least.

Edit Starting here: "My PC crashed due to a power outage and this post - posted anyway. Odd"

What I was getting to is that looking at the WinterSown site is a lot of fun. As I wrote above, "habitat gardener" suggested the site, and wow, thank you.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; August 14, 2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: PC/Power Crash
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote