Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 19, 2015   #1
Lycopersica
Tomatovillian™

Default Blossom end blues

I'm growing opalka plum tomatoes. Although the plants have been fruiting like crazy, at least two thirds of the fruit have blossom end rot. Based on a soil test, I know my soil was very calcium deficient when I started. I mixed in compost, Dr. Earth's rock phosphate (containing calcium phosphate) and egg shells when I planted but I guess that wasn't enough.

A week or two ago, when I noticed how widespread the blossom end rot was, I added more egg shell bits and rock phosphate. Then, I mulched the bed with composted leaves and pine needles to keep the soil more evenly moist. I've been careful to water more consistently too. Nonetheless, I noticed today that the newer juvenile tomatoes are starting to get soft spots on their blossom ends.

The plants are showing early signs of over-feeding so I don't want to amend the soil any further. Should I try one of those calcium sprays or give it more time? Am I doomed to sad mushy half-tomatoes all season?