Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 6, 2015   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
This is what the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs says on their research of bacterial diseases of the tomato.

"Seed extraction alone, whether through fermentation or acid methods, is not a reliable method of eliminating bacteria on the seed. Extraction should be followed by a hot water, acid or chlorine disinfection. All seed lots should be disinfected by one of these methods."

This is exactly what Ted says to do, this guy knows what he is doing with tomato seed disinfection
Seaeagle, at this point from what you've posted you are absolutely convinced that I know nothing about fermention or other methods and indeed seed disinfection. So be it.

Your post above is about bacterial pathogens, not fungal pathogens, and it's the latter ones that are most important worldwide in terms of foliage diseases.

I'll start by saying that there is no method I know of that can remove ALL the possible pathogens on the seed coat, possibly TSP and or acid, but most home growers don't use those for very good reasons,but lessen that burden, yes, and that's important since actual infection is quantitative, so the less pathogens the less is the probablility of actual infection.

Bacterial Canker is the main one found in the endosperm of the seed and only hot water treatment can deal with that which is why in several catalogs you'll see listings for a single variety for both hot water treated seeds and non treated/ And Bacterial Canker is not that widespread either.

The main pathogens on the seed coat that are important to almost everyone are the two fungal ones important for foliage diseases and those are Early Blight and Septoria Leaf Spot. The two most important bacterial ones on the seed coat that can cause foliage infections are Bacterial Speck and Bacterial Spot.

Additional pathogens on the seed coat that are important for folks who garden in areas where such seedborne diseases are found, usually along the eastern seaboard from VA down to FL, along the Gulf of Mexico and then the most southern part of CA would be the three races of Fusarium as well as Verticillium. There are others as well.

Summary?

No method used mostly by home gardeners removes all pathogens known to be on the seed coat.

Those known to be in the seed endosperm are Bacterial Canker and all viruses and viroids tested to date and also Potato Spindle Viroid, which also infects tomatoes, originally from Australia and now making an appearance in the US.

Ted has agreed with me that there is no known documentation known that says bleach treatment can kill tomato pathogens on the seed coat and/or efficacy of same. Increase % germination sometimes , yes. If folks want to continue to use bleach treatments b/c it makes them feel better as several have said that's OK, but fact is, there is no data that says that it kills seed coat pathogens.

I do hope that at least some of what I've posted helps someone somewhere.

Carolyn