Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 6, 2015   #1
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Default Ugly late tomatoes

Most of the tomatoes I'm seeing these days look like the photo below. I'm trying to figure out why, and if there's anything I can do about it. I'm not sure what that effect is called, so I don't know what to put in the subject line. Coming off the vine, they're bumpy and rugged, like they've been in a fight.

As we got well into September, the combination of having more tomatoes than I knew what to do with, along with other real-life issues that had a much higher priority than the garden, meant that I really neglected watering it. It *has* been dry this summer in the Boston area, and perhaps that contributed to it. but the colder weather is also here, and we've had a lot of days in the 50's with nights in the 40's.

So what I'd like to know is... Does this tomato look like it's suffering from the effects of not enough water, or is this just the late season having its effect?

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg latetomato.jpg (52.0 KB, 83 views)
enchant is offline   Reply With Quote