Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 25, 2016   #26
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

ddsack,
Like you I was amazed at how close they were spacing these plants. After looking at the Clemson trial I looked elsewhere to see that others were spacing this close, that's where I found the info from NC University. The point the Clemson study is making is not that head weight is not affected by closer spacing but that greater yields are obtained and head quality is not reduced. For example, there Conventional Charleston trial of Emerald Crown at 8'" spacing resulted in head weight of 205 g, total yield per ha 9,304 kg: Emerald Crown at 4" spacing resulted in head weight of 216 g and 13,341 kg per ha. To me that appears to be an over 40% improvement in yield.
You might try the link for the Clemson trial again. It comes up quickly for me and I only have a 10 meg internet connection.
The Clemson trial includes a number of popular varieties, and it includes a test and texture test of the various varieties. Castle Dome gets their top nod in the taste texture tests.
Here in Central Florida my growing season runs from approx Sep 1 to Early June, all depending on the weather (especially temperature in late May and June) and the heat and to some extent cold tolerance of the varieties grown. My goal is to get to a point where I can grow more the a required amount of broccoli in a roughly 5 x 14 ft raised bed. Currently I as growing Premium Crop and getting 3 crops during the time allowed. I am considering switching to a early heat tolerant variety which will allow me to grow 4 crops during this time frame and if I am really aggressive in getting my transplants ready on time maybe, just maybe, 5 crops during this time frame. Another advantage of multiple crops is that I would often have fresh broccoli to eat and leave much to freeze for the winter. Winter here means July, Aug, Sep. LOL
Thanks for your response, oh and if you get to read the Clemson trial please tell me what you think.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote