Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 12, 2016   #1
Csross
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting out small seedlings

I'm starting tomato seeds for the first time, and only have experience with planting out the stocky, 8-12" tall plants from Home Depot, etc. I don't have the time/space/permission from my wife to buy a shop light & heating mat setup this year, so I'm hoping to start a dozen plants in my kitchen window. I've got a bag of Gurney's seed starting mix, which is coir-based and contains some fertilizer. Here in MD, we have a last frost date of May 5, so I'm thinking about starting seeds around April 1. That gives me 5 weeks until plant out, which I'm hoping is long enough to get them going, but not so long that they get spindly without artificial light. How tall can I reasonably expect them to be, and does that time-frame sound right? Most of what I read suggests starting 6-8 weeks before plant-out -- will they be too small at 5 weeks? Is there a downside of planting small seedlings, other than that it'll take longer to get fruit?
Thanks very much!
Csross is offline   Reply With Quote