Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 26, 2016   #16
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
These days about everything is started in 6 packs with 1 X 1 or 1X1.5 cells so there are 5 or 6 dozen per flat. I usually use well moistened ultimate potting mix and no bottom heat. Wood stove is in the back room so seeds go from about 80 at 10 (temp near the ceiling) when I go to bed and are at about 70 by morning. Yellow Hots were the only pepper that would not germinate for me. Changed the seed supplier and now they do.
My family uses some wood heat too. But, here in N.W Arkansas, we are not using our wood stove anymore. (we have been getting some night-time freezing temp's,) but here things are starting to warm up. I used to start my peppers and tomatoes in late February,but that resulted in stringy plants.
When I buy plants(I still do-I can't satisfy my tomato/pepper addiction, I need help) I buy in the 4 inch pots, I do buy flowers in the 6 packs.
Anyway, I have another Peter pepper peeking up. 2 plants for $6:00. I still have 4 seed left. I will try a different way to get the seed to germinate. Perhaps the paper towel method. I have had success with that in the past. IF I EVER get any Peter peppers, I will save seed. Esp. if they look remotely like they are supposed too. I have grown Red Peter from Jung's Seed (I ordered the plants), that was a long time ago-the plants did great-even though I was a newbie to growing peppers, and planted them in a small clay pot, and spoiled them like babies. Dispite the small pot, I got lots of peppers. But none looked like what they can. I read that the plants have a better chance of making 'naughty' peppers if the plants are neglected.
I hope I didn't talk to much, thank you tons for the reply!

tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pepper seed germination question