Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 6, 2016   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Thanks Marsha - so far we have not had antracnose on the mangos I picked. I haven't picked anymore since; mine take > 1 week to ripen in the brown bags. Ate 2 mangos so far and a bunch of pineapple - yum.

Picked peppers are the shi★★★★os - seeds were originally from Ginny (Fishurgiirl); EOY pepper dropped and germinated. I pulled the seedlings, separated them and gave clusters of plants away. These were from my 2 plants that I kept.

Next experiment is leaving plants when I go away in August. I will use parthenocarpic cucumbers (cucumbers that do not need pollination) because plants will be permanently covered in tulle while I am away. The plants also need to be big enough to withstand the intense sun and 90 degree temperatures.

This is the most amazing part; I wrapped 2 seeds in the wet paper towel late at night on 7/3. The next afternoon (12-18 hours later) they both had germinated.
On 7/4 I planted the 2 seeds in ProMix and both popped up by 7/5 AM. The power of humidity I guess.

Cucumber count as of this AM is 56. Who said you couldn't grow cucumbers in Florida after March?
I am glad for you that your Kents are healthy. When they are smaller, earlier in the season, they take longer than a week to ripen. Later on when they are getting larger, 5 days, then only 3 days when it is nearly August.

What kind of parthenocarpic cukes? Sweet success? I sowed one in an EB directly, so far- nothing. I might try 1 more seed in the paper towel like you did. That was fast germination.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote