Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 20, 2016   #11
tedln

Tomato powder and pepper powder? Good thought! I grew a lot of peppers this year, but the only variety I grew which can be classed as hot are the Jalapeno's. I've searched for years for the seed for the giant Poblano pepper used to make Chili Rellenos. This year, I planted a variety which is supposed to produce large poblano's. Early in the season, they were pretty large while the plants were still small. As the season progressed, the plants became larger in the summer heat; but the peppers got smaller and they had no heat. Now, with cooler weather, the plants are about eight feet tall and producing larger peppers again. I was surprised to find they also have a heat similar to black pepper and a great peppery flavor. My dog even likes them. He usually only wants sweet peppers. I believe they would make a good pepper powder to combine with the tomato powder. I think the variety was Tiburon, but I'm not sure without pulling my list up.