Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 13, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Starting Flower Seeds Indoors?

Tomorrow or Wednesday, I want to start some French Dwarf Marigold seeds in 72 cell trays. https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Hex-Tray-.../dp/B004NSD3CC Planting date could vary depending on the information provided in the replies here.

Last freeze/frost day is around 5 weeks from now, but this is Texas, so it could still freeze in earlier April.

My first question is: Can I grow them (1 Plant per cell) in the seed cells until plant out, or are they more like tomatoes and peppers that need to be potted up?

Question 2a: Do the seed cell trays need to have fluorescent lights an inch away like tomatoes need?

Question 2b: If not, there have been a lot of days with high temperatures in the 60s to 85 degrees lately. Could I just set them outside in the sun once they have germinated and bring them inside at night?

I am going to try this with 7 packs of French Marigold seeds to fight the RKN (Root Knot Nematodes) in our gardens. I think the transplants would have a better chance than planting seeds directly as I have always done.

A just for fun fact: French Dwarf Marigolds are the first flowers I ever planted. I had just turned 13 years old that day.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; February 13, 2017 at 11:28 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote