Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 21, 2017   #1
RomanX
Tomatovillian™

Default ? re light for month-old seedlings

I did it again! I wound up with more seedlings (tomato and flower species) than my indoor grow lights can raise to plant-out stage! So now I'm trying to figure out HOW I can grow all of them during their second month, before planting outside is possible.

My tomato seedlings spend their second month outside during the day (anywhere from 7 to 8+ hours of sunlight, depending on when I eventually get up and are brought in for an extra 4-5 hour of artificial light. But mature tomato plants NEED only 8 hours of sunlight. . . .

Would the tomato seedlings still grow and thrive with only 8+ hours of sunlight, freeing up my indoor grow lights for that last month before plant out? Or do tomato seedlings require the extra light?? Would this scheme of sunlight / days only stunt them??

RomanX is offline   Reply With Quote