Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 3, 2017   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
So, to summarize, nobody knows Pruden (or Prudence for that matter) and the tomato ain't purple (pink right?), but it sure is tasty.

Anyway, it did fine from seed for me so I will be growing it for the first time this year. Excited to try it.

Please see post #13 above.

In the 2017 SSE Yearbook

Al Anderson lists it as Prudence Purple saying that Gary Milllwood said that was the original name That is not correct.He also double listed it as Prudens Purple

SSE itself lists it as Pruden's Purple, True variety, seeds from Garrett Pittinger from ONT,Canada

In the 2016 yearbook an SSE member from Ohio first listed it as True Variety and said the source was SSE itself in 2011 (note the date).

Here's my impression which I've posted here before.

When a variety has not been listed for many years, SSE will get it out of storage , from seed we were asked to provide way back,and list it themselves, and I know that since a few times it's been one that I initially listed.

By SSE doing it it ups their total listings in a yearbook which means money back to them, since they still abide by the orignal cost of seeds, which after a palace revolt, they agreed to let individual listed members set their own request prices.

For many years SSE itself has been THE largest lister of everything in the Annual yearbooks, not just tomatoes, although the tomato section is the largest in the Yearbooks..

Carolyn, who hopes the above clarifies the issue for you.