Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 20, 2017   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default What role do fertilizer and nutrients play in disease resistance

How much do we know about the role of nutrients in plants ability to resist disease? I ask because I noticed a clear difference in the disease burden in my plants after I fertilized. I had posted pics of early blight which showed up earlier than normal in my plants this year. I had sprayed with Daconil a couple of times and was having trouble keeping up with the disease. I have been avoiding fertilizer because of high levels of some nutrients in my soil tests, although I was aware it was low in nitrogen. I decided to try going back to fertilizing anyway. I tried Texas Tomato Food. The result seemed amazing. Within a several days to a week, i stopped having new areas of early blight. I stopped spraying. I don't believe I sprayed at all after applying the fertilizer. Still, weeks later, no more early blight. Am I crazy? Is this just the effect of my earlier spraying that was delayed or took time to show up? If I had Early Blight in my garden early in the season wouldn't it have shown up on new growth later if I stopped spraying the Daconil? I don't want to jump to conclusions or make associations that are not valid. But I will keep fertilizing now. Even if I fertilize regularly and have no disease problems next year, since the temps and rainfall will likely be different also, not sure how to tell if it is the fertilizer making the difference or not. What say you oh wise Tomatovillians?
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote