Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 9, 2018   #1
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

Default Use of pea residue as mulch?

In few days should be the time for me to start harvesting my peas. I guess until the end of May there will be no more peas to harvest so wondering what to do with plants residue. I don't make my own compost because my small garden is in urban area and I am afraid neighbors would complain about smells. Also, it is only around 1.800 square feet, so not sure I can spare any part of it for composting pile.

I was thinking to use residue as a mulch around my tomatoes. Is it good idea? If it is, how? Should I cut it with lawnmower and just mulch it as with grass clippings? Or just cut plants with pruning shears to small pieces and place around tomato plants?

Before mulch idea I was considering to cut all pea plants above soil level and dig them in a trench for improving soil.

Any suggestion what to do with residue are most welcomed and what you people do with it.

Tags
mulching , pea , residue